Entry Requirements (ELICOS)
Entry Requirements (ELICOS)
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) students
In line with Standard 2 of the National Code 2007, Gold Coast Learning Centre will recruit students in an ethical and responsible manner and provide information that enables them to make informed decisions about studying with the registered provider in Australia.
Gold Coast Learning Centre ensures that students’ qualifications, experience and English language proficiency are appropriate for the course for which enrolment is sought.
Gold Coast Learning Centre will inform prospective students of the necessary entry requirements for each course through the website, pre-information booklet, student booklet and representing agents (via information provided in the agent’s manual).
- For each student, the requirements listed are the minimum requirements for admission to any course at that level.
- Students of English for General Purposes must be 18 years old and over.
- When the student has completed several measures of pre-testing over a period of time, only the most recent measure will be considered.
- Gold Coast Learning Centre will conduct an entry test to determine each student’s level of English prior to starting any English Language course.
- Gold Coast Learning Centre reserves the right to request that the student undergoes the GCLC placement test for all courses.
ELICOS English Language Requirements
For General English courses:
- Students with no previous knowledge of English will be placed in the Elementary class.
- Students with previous knowledge of English will be submitted to a pre-entry test upon arrival at the centre. They will be placed in the appropriate level of the General English course following the language proficiency requirements described below:
English Language Proficiency Requirements for General English courses Level Core Class Level English Language Proficiency Required 1 Elementary Nil 2 Pre-Intermediate Elementary 3 Intermediate Pre-Intermediate 4 Upper-Intermediate Intermediate 5 Advanced Upper-Intermediate
For the IELTS Exam Preparation Course course (offered at Upper-Intermediate Level):
Students will be submitted to a pre-entry test before course commencement.
English Language Proficiency Requirements for IELTS Exam Preparation Course English Language Proficiency Required IELTS Exam Preparation Course Upper-Intermediate
General English courses
Upon arrival at Gold Coast Learning Centre, students enrolled in the General English course will be submitted to a pre-entry test.
This pre-entry test is divided into two stages: a written test assessing grammar and vocabulary; and a speaking interview, assessing the learner’s oral capacity.
Learners will then be placed in the appropriate level in the Core Classes and a teacher will counsel them on the most suitable Customised Classes for their specific needs.
IELTS Exam Preparation Course
The IELTS Exam Preparation course is offered at an Upper Intermediate Level.
Upon arrival at the Gold Coast Learning Centre, students wishing to join the IELTS Exam Preparation course
will be submitted to a pre-entry test.
The written pre-entry test assesses grammar, vocabulary, use of English as well as the student’s writing skills. The speaking test assesses the learner’s oral capacity.
Learners will then be placed in the appropriate level. Learners who fail to be assessed at an Upper-intermediate level will not be eligible for the IELTS Exam Preparation course.
Alternatively, prospective students for the IELTS Exam Preparation course may sit the pre-entry written test at their agent’s premises. In this case, the agent must follow strict guidelines and instructions from the Gold Coast Learning Centre with regards to pre-entry test arrangements.
These students will be required to take the pre-entry speaking test upon their arrival at Gold Coast Learning Centre. If necessary, the student may be required to take the written pre-entry test again at Gold Coast Learning Centre.
Gold Coast Learning Centre offers the following:
- General English: 20 hrs (full time) and 25 hrs (comprehensive) per week from 1 – 50 weeks.
- General English: Part Time (Non-Reg course – not available for student visa holders) – 11 hrs 40 mins and 16 hrs 40 mins per week from 1 – 50 weeks.
- IELTS Exam Preparation – 25 hrs per week from 1 to 10 weeks.
- Young Learners Program: (Non-Reg course – not available for student visa holders) – 20 hrs from 1 – 6 weeks twice a year.
Related Pages & Resources
- All Post