Student Support Services
Student Support Services
Student Support Services
This policy supports the ESOS National Code 2007 Standard 6.
This policy also supports the Standards for RTOs 2015 – Standard 1, 4 and 5.
This policy applies to all Gold Coast Learning Centre staff who deal with all matters concerning VET and ELICOS.
This policy is to outline the appropriate support services provided by Gold Coast Learning Centre to support students to adjust to study and life in Australia, achieve their learning goals and achieve satisfactory progress towards meeting the learning outcomes of the course in which they are enrolled.
The support services provided by Gold Coast Learning Centre includes:
- A culturally appropriate orientation program that provides information to the prospective student about:
- Information about their course timetables and training & assessments strategy.
- English language and study assistance programs provided by GCLC.
- Relevant Legal services contact details.
- Emergency and health services.
- GCLC facilities and resources.
- Complaints and appeals processes.
- Information about their attendance and course progress requirements.
- Information about different referrals including information about their employment rights and conditions, and how to resolve workplace issues, such as through the Fair Work Ombudsman.
- Any student visa condition relating to course progress and/or attendance as appropriate.
- Services available to students with general or personal issues which are adversely affecting their education in Australia.
- All students are to receive a copy of the “Student Handbook” and each section explained to students.
- Relevant laws/ safety awareness when living on the Gold Coast.
- A tour of the college identifying classrooms, student areas, student administration area, and any relevant areas within the college, such as fire exits, restricted areas and toilets.
- LLN test to determine the support needs of individual learners and then providing access to the educational and support services necessary for the individual learner to meet the requirements of the training product as specified in training packages or VET [vocational education and training] accredited courses.
- GCLC provides the opportunity for students to access different support services to assist with issues that may arise during their study, including course progress and attendance requirements and accommodation issues.
- GCLC has a documented critical incident policy together with procedures that cover the action to be taken in the event of a critical incident, required follow-up to the incident, and records of the incident and action taken. Our Critical incident policy ensures the interests of the student and their families are managed appropriately and shows that GCLC is prepared for such incidents and have a clear protocol to follow in what can be distressing and upsetting circumstances. See Critical Incident Policy and Procedures.
- GCLC has a designated member of staff or members of staff to be the official point of contact for students. The student contact officer or officers must have access to up-to-date details of GCLC’s support services.
- GCLC provides sufficient student support personnel to meet the needs of the students enrolled with GCLC.
- GCLC ensures that its staff members who interact directly with students are aware of GCLCs obligations under the ESOS framework and the potential implications for students arising from the exercise of these obligations.
- GCLC provides appropriate and well-informed support services including study and learning advice, individual training plans, language assistance, help with meeting and dealing with course requirements, attendance, and welfare issues.
- Maintains and deliver up-to-date and correct information for students relating to support services; study issues; emergency, legal and health services; and facilities and resources
- Make accessible to students’ information on institutional complaints and appeals procedures
- regularly review and deliver a comprehensive orientation program that includes all of the above as well as information on course progress and attendance visa conditions
- provide welfare-related support services including referrals to any additional services.
Orientation and Transition Support
All students go through an Orientation program during their first day of study at GCLC. The orientation program involves familiarisation with the college, facilities and studying and living on the Gold Coast. Contents of Orientation program include:
- Course Timetables and Training and Assessments Strategies.
- Study requirements (course attendance and progress)
- Refund and payment plan policies
- Students rights and responsibilities in Australia
- Working in Australia.
- Emergency and health services / relevant legal aid services
- English language and workshop study assistance programs.
- Complaints and appeals processes.
- Cultural awareness (laws) relevant to life in Australia.
- Students are also made aware of the various support services at the orientation program.
- During the orientation students will also be taken on a tour of the college and Surfers Paradise.
- GCLC staff members are to be introduced during the orientation so students are aware of the support services available and contact details are provided in the Student Information booklet.
Students are provided with:
- A Student Handbook
- Course information, timetables, training and assessment strategies.
- A copy of GCLC complaints and appeals form
- ID Cards are completed and processed during orientation.
When an international student completes orientation, they are asked to sign a student orientation checklist which is filed in the student’s file.
All students are provided with a copy of the Student Handbook during their first day of studies. It contains information on:
- Services, facilities and resources available to students
- Visa requirements for international students
- Policies and Procedures
- Other relevant information in assisting students to adjust to life and study in Australia.
- Code of Conduct
Student Services Support
GCLC has a Student Services team designed to support students. Reception is open Monday to Friday – 9am to 5:30pm. GCLC has an open-door policy, students are free to approach any GCLC staff member for any help or make general enquires, such as banking, directions, public transport, access to other services and day to day needs.
The official point of contact for students is the Student Services Officer who has access to up to date details of GCLC’s support services. For emergency after hours, students are advised to ring: 0438372881
All GCLC staff members are available to support students. Students can approach reception to get in contact with relevant staff members.
Academic, Language and Learning Support
LLN Test would be administered prior to enrolment into qualifications within GCLC’s scope of registration. Test would be administered by qualified LLN Trainer and Assessor.
The main aim of the test is to identify particular skills of the student such as literacy, numeracy and English language, in order to meet the requirement of qualification they wish to enrol in.
If a gap is identified, learners would be recommended to undertake foundation skills courses or other strategies would be adopted to make support available, prior to enrolment in that qualification.
Academic support is the responsibility of the trainers/ teachers. Students are advised to approach their trainers or VET administrator if they need assistance in meeting course requirements
The VET administrator can assist students with the following:
- Study Skills
- Study plans
- Leaning Support Strategies
- Academic issues
Students Welfare services
GCLC has designated the Management team and Administers to provide a basic counselling service to all students. This service provides assistance to students experiencing difficulties in any aspect of their lives, including issues of academic or personal nature.
GCLC Management and Administrators team are available to international students to help them access study support and welfare-related services such as;
- Legal Services – referring the student to a legal practitioner at no cost. Students would be responsible for any cost related to the legal advice provided.
- Accommodation – While GCLC does not offer accommodation services or take any responsibility for accommodation arrangements the college is able to refer students to appropriate accommodation services and are always available to discuss any issues or concerns a student may have with their accommodation arrangements. All students are encouraged to have accommodation organised prior to arrival in Australia but the Student Support Officer can refer students to appropriate accommodation services.
- Medical Issues – Student Support Officer will have a list of medical professionals within access from the College location and any student with medical concerns should inform the student support officer who will assist them in finding an appropriate medical professional. Local medical services can be gained from the student support officer. For emergencies students are instructed to contact appropriate services, eg 000 and inform GCLC as soon as possible.
- For any critical incident, GCLC have a Critical Incident Policy and Procedure for managing critical incidents that could affect the International student’s ability to undertake or complete a course. For more details, please refer to GCLC Critical Incident Policy and Procedure.
- Complaints and appeals processes – The complaints and appeals policy and procedure is accessible on the website, explained at orientation and in the student handbook and made available from reception.
- Any student visa condition relating to course progress and or attendance as appropriate – Students are advised at orientation of their requirements to continue to meet their visa conditions. The expectations for course progress and attendance are explained in orientation as well as in the student handbook and in the pre-commencement declaration form which is signed by the student.
Related Pages & Resources
- All Post