TESOL Certificate IV in TESOL (10695NAT) Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
The Certificate IV in TESOL at Gold Coast Learning Centre develops the skills, knowledge and experience you need to become a qualified teacher of English as a Second Language (ESL) or English as a Foreign Language (EFL).
Gold Coast Learning Centre is the only school on the Gold Coast offering the Certificate IV in TESOL face-to-face in a fully operational college.
The course is highly practical and directly related to the needs of industry, preparing graduates for immediate entry into the workforce with hands-on experience teaching ESL students at our campus in Surfers Paradise.
The Certificate IV in TESOL develops and refines your practical skills, working with qualified teachers at a variety of levels and courses, from General English and Exam Preparation to programs for Primary and High School aged students.
Observation and practical placements are conducted within the college with the assistance and supervision of our expert team of teachers who help you develop the skills you need, including:
- Understanding cultural diversity
- Teaching grammar, reading, writing, spelling, pronunciation, speaking and listening
- Designing a syllabus and assessment
- Observing teaching strategies and techniques and developing ideas for your own lessons
- Getting to know the students and assessing English proficiency levels and needs
- Testing what delivery style works best for you and the students you teach
- Applying what you have learnt in the course to real-life situations
Benefits | Certificate IV in TESOL
- Study a nationally accredited TESOL qualification, taught by experienced industry experts
- One-on-one individual assistance and valuable real-life experience teaching international students
- Practical and well designed course materials, customised to match your skills and experience
- 12 hours of on-site observation learning from experienced teachers
- 6 hours of practical experience developing your skills and knowledge
- Diverse mix of international and domestic students
- Interest free and flexible payment plans available
- Free literacy and English support available for all students
Start Dates and Pricing
Contact us today for start dates and current prices for the Certificate IV in TESOL.
Details | Certificate IV in TESOL (10695NAT) CRICOS Course Code: 097812F | Nominal Hours: 270
The Certificate IV in TESOL at Gold Coast Learning Centre is a government-accredited and nationally recognised course, developed under the Australian Qualifications Framework.
Graduates of this course receive the nationally accredited Certificate IV in TESOL (10695NAT).
Successful completion of this qualification requires a grade of C (competent) in all 9 core subjects, the selected elective unit and the Practical Placement portion of the course.
Units of Competency
Units of competency for Certificate IV in TESOL (10695NAT) Unit Name Unit Code Core Units Create a culturally inclusive learning environment TESCIE001 Use the genre approach to teach English TESGAE001 Teach English grammar TESTEG001 Teach spelling and pronunciation TESTSP001 Teach speaking TESTSE001 Teach listening TESTLE001 Teach reading TESTRE001 Teach writing TESTWE001 Develop resource files TESDRF001 Students must also complete one of the following Elective Units: Teach ESL to early childhood learners TESECL001 Teach ESL to primary school-aged learners TESPSL001 Teach ESL to teenage learners TESTAL001 Use music, art and drama in TESOL TESMAD001 Use technology to assist ESL learning TESTEC001 Work with volunteers in ESL contexts TESWWV001 Establish community based English classes TESCEC001
Please Note: Gold Coast Learning Centre reserves the right to change elective units at any time to meet the needs of learners and changing industry trends
The Certificate IV in TESOL at Gold Coast Learning Centre provides comprehensive practical training. You don’t just learn the theories behind teaching English as a Second Language (ESL), you get practical, hands-on experience in real-life situations.
Practical training is undertaken at our campus in Surfers Paradise, where you will learn to apply your newly acquired skills and knowledge effectively. Graduates complete Supervised Practical Placement with real ESL learners, working with qualified and experienced ESL teachers.
Supervised Practical Placement involves a minimum of 12 hours observation and practice teaching, with at least six hours of practice teaching
You will observe an experienced trainer teaching English to speakers of other languages and then plan and deliver at least 6 hours of English as a Second Language (ESL) lessons to demonstrate that you have the skills required to put theory into practice.
Your teaching will be observed by a qualified assessor who will provide you with feedback and support to help develop your teaching ability.
The course prepares students for direct entry into the workforce and all practical hours can be put on your resume so you have experience right from the start of your new career.
During your Supervised Practical Placement you will:
- Observe teaching strategies and techniques
- Gather ideas for your own lessons
- Get to know the students and get an idea of their current English proficiency levels and needs
- Test what delivery style works best for you and the students you teach
- Apply what you have learnt in the course to real-life situations
The Certificate IV in TESOL at Gold Coast Learning Centre runs for 12 weeks full-time.
Classes consist of 25 hours per week for the duration of the course.
Part-time study options are also available to domestic students. Please note that the part-time option is not available to student visa holders.
Please contact Gold Coast Learning Centre to discuss which option suits you best.
No previous teaching experience or qualifications are required to enrol in this course.
Domestic and International students require a Year 12 education, or equivalent.
International students must meet one of the following English language requirements:
- Current GCLC students assessed at Intermediate level or higher;
- The equivalent of Australian Secondary School Grade 10 English;
- English proficiency level requirement of IELTS 5.5 or equivalent;
- Or at the discretion of the Academic Management of Gold Coast Learning Centre.
English is the most widely learned and used foreign language in the world.
As a result, the need for TESOL teachers is always expanding, so successful graduates are rewarded with opportunities to travel to exotic locations, or to stay right here in Australia.
On successful completion of the Certificate IV in TESOL, students may enrol in the Diploma of TESOL, a range of other Diploma, Advanced Diploma and University courses, or enjoy working in this field.
Employment prospects depend on your existing qualifications and level of experience, with a wider range of potential opportunities for those with previous experience or relevant qualifications.
Outcome A: For those with no previous teaching experience or qualifications
If you have no previous qualifications or experience, upon your successful completion of the Certificate IV in TESOL you will be able to teach English in a less demanding capacity:
- Teaching English to groups of students visiting Australia on short term study tours.
- Teaching conversational English in Australian language schools.
- Teaching migrants general English skills in a supervised and limited capacity.
- Teaching overseas students on an individual tuition or small group tutorial basis.
- Teaching overseas in institutions not governed by Australian standards.
Outcome B: For qualified or experienced participants
If you already have a tertiary level degree or some teaching experience, upon successful completion of the Certificate IV in TESOL you will find a wider range of employment opportunities at a National ELT Accreditation Scheme (NEAS) accredited training centre.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Related Pages & Resources